What is Botox?
Botox® Cosmetic is a purified protein produced by the Clostridium botulism bacterium, which reduces the activity of the muscles that cause expression lines to form over time.
What does a Botox treatment involve?
Our nurse will administer several tiny injections of the best BOTOX® Cosmetic directly in the muscles that cause those moderate to severe expression lines.
Our nurse will also determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain muscles in the treatment area. The location, size, and use of the muscles that create an expression line vary markedly among individuals.
You may resume normal activity immediately. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe lines in the treatment area. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months.
What areas can be treated?
We can treat the following areas with Botox:
- Glabellar Region
- Crow’s Feet
Before and After Pictures:
Frequently Asked Questions About Botox
WILL MY FACE STILL HAVE EXPRESSION?
BOTOX Cosmetic is intended to enhance the way you look, not change it. When administered by an experienced nurse, you can still smile, frown, and be expressive. The treatment only relaxes the muscle beneath the lines at the point of injection, so the other elements of your facial expression remain active. It also has no effect on the sensory nerves, so you will have normal feeling in the treated areas.
ARE BOTOX COSMETIC TREATMENTS SAFE?
BOTOX has been licensed in Canada since 1990 as a safe and effective treatment for a variety of medical conditions. In 2001, Health Canada approved BOTOX Cosmetic for wrinkle therapy, and it has been proven to be very safe through extensive research and testing.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT LIKE?
A tiny amount of BOTOX Cosmetic is injected very precisely into the muscle being treated. A very fine needle and a small amount of liquid is used so the pain associated with the injection is minimal. The sensation has been compared to a bug bite. No sedation or local anesthetic is required, and you can resume normal activities immediately.
HOW LONG DOES THE TREATMENT TAKE?
A BOTOX Cosmetic procedure is quick, simple, and there’s no downtime. Following a facial analysis by your nurse and a discussion on your desired outcome, the procedure itself only takes 10-15 minutes to perform.
HOW MUCH DOES A BOTOX COSMETIC TREATMENT COST?
The costs associated with a treatment are dependent on the amount of product needed and the area of the face being treated. As an example, treating frown lines between the eyebrows typically costs $300.00 to $600.00 depending on the size of the area and depth of the lines. Since the treatment results generally last up to four months, it works out to less than $5.00 a day.
WHO SHOULD NOT USE THIS TREATMENT?
There are very few restrictions regarding the use of BOTOX Cosmetic. Those who are pregnant, nursing, or have neurological disease should not be treated.
HOW SOON WILL I SEE A DIFFERENCE?
You can expect to see results within days after your treatment. The appearance of wrinkles and lines may continue to diminish for up to one week.
DOES BOTOX COSMETIC HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?
Side effects are rare and these should be discussed with your doctor or nurse.
HOW LONG DOES THE TREATMENT LAST?
The effects usually last up to four months. After repeat treatments, the effects may begin to last longer
What are Fillers?
JUVÉDERM® is a smooth gel filler that your doctor uses to instantly smooth away wrinkles around your mouth and nose. With just one treatment, you’ll get smooth and natural-looking results that last up to a year.
JUVÉDERM® is manufactured using Hyaluronic acid, a substance that out bodies produce naturally. As such, fillers are readily accepted by the body without allergic reaction and are slowly broken down over time. Such fillers last anywhere from 4-12 months and can last even longer in some areas when done in combination with Botox. With JUVÉDERM® you get the smooth results you expect, with the improved comfort you want. Everyone will notice, but no one will know.
How does it work?
Young, healthy-looking skin contains an abundance of a naturally hydrating substance called hyaluronic acid (HA). But as you age, sunlight and other factors can reduce the amount of HA in your skin. The lack of HA causes your skin to lose structure and volume, creating unwanted facial wrinkles and folds – like those parentheses lines around your nose and mouth.
Using a dermal filler is a safe and effective way to replace the HA your skin has lost, bringing back its volume and smoothing away facial wrinkles and folds.
What does a filler treatment involve?
Because JUVÉDERM is a simple, nonsurgical wrinkle treatment, there is minimal recovery or downtime (and the results are instant!). So you can make an appointment to stop by on the way home from work or the gym, or even while the kids are at soccer practice and get right back to your daily routine. Here’s what to expect when you visit our office for treatment.
If this is your first visit, we will ask about your medical history, including any allergies you may have or medications you may take, and will tell you more about treatment.
If we determine that JUVÉDERM® is right for you, she will then examine the soft tissue of your face to assess the depth of wrinkles and folds to determine your treatment for wrinkles. This allows us to better tailor treatment to your unique skin volume needs. They may even take pre-treatment photographs so you can see the difference after receiving the treatment!
We will then ease the JUVÉDERM® under your skin (where wrinkles and folds occur) to replace lost skin volume. Following the injection, she may gently massage the treated areas. The procedure is quick and easy and the results are instant! The injection itself usually takes only about 15 minutes.
You should avoid the following for at least 24 hours after treatment:
– Strenuous exercise
– Consumption of alcoholic beverages
– Extended exposure to sun or heat
You may experience pain, tenderness, temporary redness, swelling, bruising, firmness, and bumps at the injection sites. Studies have shown that these are usually mild to moderate in nature and clear up on their own in 7 days or less. If you experience swelling at the injection site, you can apply an ice pack for a brief period. Be sure to report any redness and/or visible swelling that last for more than a few days (or any other symptoms that cause you concern) after receiving treatment.
You should see an immediate improvement in the treatment areas. Most patients need one injectable dermal filler treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing and improve skin volume. Just one treatment with JUVÉDERM® can smooth away your wrinkles for up to 1 year! However, results from injectable dermal fillers may vary and correction is temporary. Supplemental “touch up” treatments may be required to achieve and maintain optimal correction of your wrinkles and folds.
Before and After Pictures:
Pre Injection Instructions for Botox and Fillers:
In order to minimize bruising after your procedure, please stop the following at least 3 days prior to your appointment.
- Aspirin, Advil, or any anti inflammatory during the week prior to injection, this may increase the risk of bruising or bleeding at the injection site. If possible discontinue these medications at least 3 days (preferably one week) before the treatment. Do not discontinue these medications without consulting with your physician if they are medically necessary.
- Green teas or herbal supplements ex; flax, fish oils, multi-vitamins, and red wine.
- One day prior, you can start arnica which is a herbal supplement that minimizes bruising.
- To ensure a comfortable procedure please eat and keep hydrated prior to your procedure.
- Please bring a photo of yourself in your 20’s
- Optimally, do not wear any makeup on the day of the procedure. If minimal makeup needs to be worn, we will ask to cleanse the area before injecting.
- Please be aware that there is a minimum $300.00 charge if you have booked a filler appointment and choose to not have your procedure done on the appointment day or with less than 1 business days notice.
Post Injection Instructions For Botox and Fillers:
You may begin to see results in 2-4 days, but maximum results are typically achieved in 7-10 days. It is important to see the nurse for a follow up appointment in 10-14 days for evaluation of results for first time procedures.
The results of your first treatment will typically last 3-4 months. However, everyone has a unique requirement of the amount of product it takes to achieve the desired results. Please reschedule an appointment in 3-4 months after your treatment date. Bruising is a common side effect and usually lasts 5-7 days.
- Immediately after the treatment, there may be slight redness, swelling, tenderness, and an itching sensation in the treated area. This is temporary and will disappear within a day or two. Work the muscles in the area that was treated (frown, squint, raise eyebrows) as much as possible for 15 minutes after your treatment. If you notice any blanching, discoloration, or pain around the injected area, please phone our office at (403) 783-2999 immediately.
- The initial swelling after lip treatment may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for about one week and the lips can look somewhat uneven during this time. DO NOT massage or manipulate the lips during the first week even if there are lumps or they appear uneven. This means that the result immediately after treatment should not be looked upon as the final result.
- Avoid touching the treated area within the following 6 hours. After that, a light makeup can be applied and the area can be gently washed with soap and water. If dry, use vaseline rather than medicated lip balms. After 24 hours, makeup and usual lip care can be used.
- Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat. (ex: Sauna, Sun, Tanning, Hot Tubs) or extreme cold during the two weeks after injection. You may gently apply ice for short periods of time. (no more than 5 minutes at a time) to any bruises or areas of tenderness.
- If you have previously suffered from cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another cold sore. Please ask your physician for medication to take prior to treatment to avoid cold sores from developing.
- Avoid wearing makeup prior to and immediately after your procedure. If required to apply after, please bring your makeup and only use minimal application.